We love making big fresh summer salads using our quinoa as the base. It’s a great way to create a filling and nutritious meal and if you make a large quantity, your lunches are sorted for the week! After cooking the quinoa and the peas and roasting the pinenuts, we mixed in feta cheese, fresh mint, spring onion, a splash of olive oil, salt pepper and a squeeze of lime. You can substitute many of the ingredients for what you find in your fridge, like green beans for peas, cooked onion for spring onion, your prefered cheese for feta cheese, your favourite nut for the pinenuts – use what you’ve got!
Recipe: Fresh Mint, Pea, Feta & Quinoa Salad
1 cup cooked quinoa (we used white quinoa but any type will do)
1 cup cooked peas
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
50g pine nuts, roasted
50g feta cheese, cubed
Small handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
1 tbsp of olive oil
Juice of 1/4 of a lime
- To cook the quinoa: Rinse 1/3 cup of quinoa in a sieve. Once rinsed, place the quinoa in a pot and add 1 cup of water. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring the quinoa every now and then. Allow to cook until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa has softened. For more detailed instructions on how to cook quinoa, we recommend Minimalist Bakers Guide
- Cook the peas and run under cold water to cool once cooked.
- Roast the pinenuts in the oven. Roast at 175º for (+/-) 6 minutes – toss every 1-2 minutes. For more detail check out our Roasting Guide
- Once the quinoa has cooked allow to cool before continuing.
- Add the cooked peas, mint, spring onion, feta cheese, pinenuts, olive oil and the juice of 1/4 of a lemon to the quinoa and mix together. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
GRAB THE INGREDIENTS