If you love baked beans but can’t get hold of them, or simply want to create your own version with a little less sugar and salt than the classic… give these a try!
If you feel inspired you can take these a step further and make ‘posh baked beans’ by adding other veggies and/or spices.
Baked Beans – serves 4
- 2 cans haricot beans (or other white beans such as cannellini beans which is what we had to hand)
- 1 can tomatoes or tomato passata
- 1 heaped tsp onion powder*
- 1 tbs soy sauce (or 1 tsp salt but soy sauce gives a richer ‘umami’ flavour)
- 1 tbs brown sugar (or any sugar)
- 1 heaped tsp cornflower or another thickener (optional to help give a slightly thicker glossier finish)
* it’s easiest to use onion powder for the smoothest result, but if you don’t have powder use a small onion, chop and sauté as usual then blend with the tinned tomatoes until smooth.
Add the tomatoes to a medium saucepan. Blend briefly with a hand blender for a smooth finish unless you are using passata. Add all remaining ingredients. If using cornflower/thickener, add to ¼ cup water and mix to a paste before adding to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for approx. 5 mins. Add a little extra water if needed for desired consistency.
Serve on toast or over a jacket potato.