Dark lentils are a great base for a veggie bolognese as they hold their shape once cooked, which is different from red lentils that ‘mush down’ and are better suited to dhals and soups.
This is another simple recipe that uses a mixed herb blend to simplify the recipe to the ‘cupboard basics’. It’s a great base to really make your own!
Lentil Bolognaise – serves 4
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 2 tbs Italian herb spice blend
- 3 cups cooked green/black lentils (or 2 cups if using dried)
- 2 cans tomatoes
- ½ cup veg stock (2 stock cubes dissolved)
- Optional – added chopped vegetables (we used a handful of mushrooms and grated broccoli stalk).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pasta of choice.
Pre-cook the lentils until almost ready if using dried (usually ~30-40 mins although exact timing depends on the type.)
Sauté the onion with a little oil in a large-ish saucepan for 4-5 minutes until soft.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for approx 10 minutes (add extra chopped veg at this stage if you like).
Serve over spaghetti or other pasta of choice.
To make this vegetarian, grate cheese over the top.
For the meat-eaters, you could swap the lentils for cooked mince.
GRAB THE INGREDIENTS