This is a great, versatile recipe for using leftover rice or veg. We used leftover rice from the dhal for this, but it can also be made from scratch and the recipe multiplied to feed more.
Use any type of rice or even quinoa if prefered.
Rice salad – to serve 1 (but can be multiplied)
- I cup cooked white/brown/black rice
- ¼ cup hummus, soft cheese or plain thick yoghurt of choice
- approx. ½ tsp spice mix or paste*
- ½ cup hopped cooked or raw veg of choice – we used yellow pepper, spring onion and cooked peas
- Handful of chopped nuts of choice – we used almonds
- Handful of chopped dried fruit of choice – we used apricot for extra Moroccan vibes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
*We used harissa paste but Italian herbs, curry powder, or any spice blend you love would work.
Mix the spice into the hummus/soft cheese/yoghurt (also add a splash of water if very thick). Add to the veg in a bowl and toss to coat the veg all over. Add the rice, dried fruit and nuts last and lightly toss before serving.
We served this cold, but you could warm the ingredients or the final dish if desired.
For vegetarians, use cheese of yogurt as the mixing base, you could also add slices of boiled egg or cubes of cheese.
This could easily be made to suit meat eaters by adding some chunks of pre-cooked meat or fish.
GRAB THE INGREDIENTS