If you’re looking for an easy chocolate cake recipe that is vegan friendly, fluffy and delicious – give this recipe a try! We served it with a dollop of vegan yoghurt and fresh berries but you could try our Cashew Frosting from this recipe
Makes: 2 x 20cm cake rounds
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) vegan milk (oat, almond, coconut etc…)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2/3 cup (150g) coconut oil
- 3 tbsp agave/ coconut blossom syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 1/4 cups (275g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 3/4 cup (175g) organic cane sugar or organic coconut sugar
- 4 Tbsp unroasted cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C/ 160°C fan). Lightly grease 2 x 20cm/8inch round baking pans.
Stir the apple cider vinegar into the milk and set aside to thicken and ‘curdle’ slightly into buttermilk.
In a pot over a medium heat, melt the coconut oil and syrup together.
Sift the flour, cinnamon, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
Pour the milk into the melted coconut oil mixture whilst it is still warm. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir well until it becomes a smooth batter.
Divide the mixture between the two prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Adapted from : Kate Hackworthy recipe on veggiedesserts.com
GRAB THE INGREDIENTS