This is also a great base recipe if you find yourselves overwhelmed with cooking… you won’t find one easier than this.
Easy Risotto – serves 3-4
- 4 cups veg stock
- 2 cups of mixed chopped veg of choice*
- 1 onion thinly sliced (red or white, or use a leek or two if you have no onion)
- 1 heaped cup of arborio rice
- A handful of seeds or nuts to garnish – optional (we used pine nuts)
- A squeeze of lemon juice to serve – optional (but it really helps make the flavour pop!)
*Good veg options are: peas, courgettes, pepper, leafy greens, mushrooms, green beans, squash.
Sauté the onion in a little oil for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the arborio rice and continue to saute for 2 mins.
Meanwhile, make up the stock and add roughly ½ a cup at a time over a period of 10-15 mins, stirring the rice frequently.
Cook for a total of approx 20 mins until the rice is al dente.
5-10 mins before the end of the rice cooking at the chopped veggies of choice to the pan (exact cook time depends on the size of the pieces).
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with a squeeze of lemon if you have one.
To make this dish vegetarian add a dollop of cream cheese, parmesan or shavings of any hard cheese you prefer to serve.
To appeal to meat-eaters, toss in some pre-cooked strips of chicken or ham a couple of minutes before serving to warm through.
GRAB THE INGREDIENTS